Thursday, July 10, 2008

On to France

We awoke with the sun at our Mediterranean villa. Riding early in the morning was a treat- it was cool and we covered great mileage. The climb up to the French border was of epic proportions, our first real introduction to the Pyrenees, and we were happy to drink a beer at the bar on top. There was a Customs booth on the road but no one was working there. The EU is magical.

After crossing the border, we found the cheapest campground that we have paid for so far- 7 Euros a night. Our site was on a bluff overlooking a nature preserve and cove. We ran down, walked to the edge of a jetty of volcanic rock, and dove into the water. There were pebbles below that looked like I could stand on, but they were at least 30 feet below.

Later that night, we met some nursing students from Brittany and drank some anise liqueur and wine with them. They played us the Rolling Stones, Guns and Roses, and other music that we had been sorely missing. I can only sing the same Tom Petty and R. Kelly songs in my head for so long. They all thought it was very funny that my name was Brian, because there is some sort of stand-up comedy show with a character of that name. They kept on saying ¨Brian is in the kitchen¨and laughing uncontrollably. I have no idea. It was still really fun and welcoming for a new country.

I am nervous about being in France. First, because I cannot communicate in French like I could in Spanish. I´ll have to learn some, enough for people to interject with their perfect English.

Today we are spending the afternoon in a seaside town. We swam in a cove overlooking a medieval castle. This sort of thing never becomes commonplace or routine, it is simply amazing.

1 comment:

adamryder1 said...

Dude,

We actually got the grant, all $2,155 of it! Before I go ahead and
sign all the paperwork, you still down to go through with this? I
definitely am. September might be a tough month for me but we have
lots of time to do this in if i remember our proposal correctly. If
September it must be though, so be it. Let me know what you think!
Hooray!

-Adam